SmartBay is Ireland’s national marine and renewable energy test and demonstration facility for the development of innovative products and services for the global marine and maritime sector. The test site is located 4.5km east of Spiddal in County Galway, approximately 1.5km offshore. The test site is suitable for developers wishing to undertake low-cost sea trials and validation of devices and components at various technology readiness levels.
Facilities and Support Include:
- Fully licenced test site for prototype ocean energy devices – Wave & Floating Offshore Wind
- Site located 1.5km offshore with water depths ranging from 20m – 25m
- Fully characterised wave climate
- Comprehensive time-series of weather, wave and current data for the site
- Proximity to ports and associated facilities